Going gluten-free: Is it for you? 5 Tips for Implementing it!

Friday, April 29, 2016

Image courtesy of imagerymajestic at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
While going gluten-free is seen by many as a trend, for those of us with certain autoimmune or neurological issues (hello Migraines!), eliminating gluten can really help reduce inflammation and relieve symptoms that medications can’t. Believe me, it’s not something I chose to do for fun! It was actually my doctor who put me on it at first. Is it something I think everyone should do? No! Do I think some people benefit from eating this way? Definitely! 




Image courtesy of Serge Bertasius Photography at FreeDigitalPhotos.net



I really had no idea what gluten-free meant other than no bread. When I first went gluten-free, I’ll admit that I had a bit of a pity party for myself. I’d see cake and parties or cookies at work and long to be able to indulge in them. 
Fast forward six weeks, and I could see how it was really helping relieve some of my residual symptoms from my Hashimoto’s and other issues, such as:
  • Tiredness
  • Migraines
  • Hair loss
  • Dull complexion 
  • Skin issues - Dandruff, dry skin, psoriasis 
  • Blood sugar instability
Image courtesy of Jereon van Oostrom at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

As much as I didn’t want to admit it to myself, I knew I had to keep going with this lifestyle. My health was obviously telling me it was in my best interest. It’s been two years now and I’m still 100% gluten-free, and probably will be forever. 

So if you’re thinking about going gluten-free for your health, here are some tips:

1. Don’t get overwhelmed 

You can do this. Take a little time to research and learn about the gluten-free lifestyle. And then when you’re ready to start (which means 100% commitment), go forth and conquer. Take it one meal at a time, one day at a time. It’s normal to feel overwhelmed, but I promise you, it gets to be second nature over time. I hardly think twice about it now, it’s just how I eat. 

2. It’s not as hard as you think

One of the benefits of the rising popularity of gluten-free is that so many restaurants can accommodate gluten-free diners. I always ask if there’s gluten-free menu (or look it up online if the restaurant has website). While I’m out and about running errands, I usually pack Kind Bars, apples, nuts or carrots to munch on. It’s fairly easy to find on-the-go options, it just saves me time and energy to have mine with me.

3. Give it time 

You’re not going to magically feel different overnight, in two weeks, or even a month. Some people may, but they’re the exception, not the rule. Like all good things in life, it takes time for your discipline to pay off. It really takes about 6 weeks to really start to feeling a difference for some people. 

4. Bring a dish! 

Image courtesy of stockimages at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

If you’re going to a party or event and are worried there won’t be gluten-free options, bring a gluten-free dish to share with everyone. This removes the awkward part of telling your host what you can and can’t eat. You don’t have to make an issue out of it, just say “Hey, I love this casserole so I bought it to share!” My family members will often have gluten-free options since they know about my diet, but for casual friends who you don’t want to burden, it’s easier sometimes to just bring something to share. 

5) It doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg

When I first went gluten-free, I spent a ridiculous amount on "gluten-free" everything. That's totally fine because it made the transition easier while I was learning how to eat gluten free. The longer I’m gluten-free, the less and less I use them. This is partly because I eat the 21 Day Fix way, which is kind of gluten-free by default. When I do get a craving for cookies or pasta, I'll definitely splurge but I don't use them much on a daily basis. 


If migraines or thyroid issues are plaguing you, I would strongly encourage you to try gluten-free for 6 weeks. There’s nothing nutritionally that you need in it, so you really have nothing to lose. Even though it’s taken self-discipline and effort, it’s been worth it to feel so great! 

Have you tried going gluten-free? How did it go? I’d love to hear!




No comments :

Post a Comment